Best Prepaid Cell Phone Company Profile – Straight Talk

Straight Talk Wireless is the newest prepaid option from American Movil, the parent company that already owns popular prepaid brands TracFone and Net10. Straight Talk brings a new model to the prepaid game and provides great competition among the best prepaid cell phone providers, targeting consumers who use a high volume of minutes each month.

Straight Talk Samsung r451c

Straight Talk Samsung r451c

They started out with just one plan, offering 1000 anytime voice call minutes, 1000 text messages, and 30 mb of websurfing and downloads, all for $30/month. Shortly thereafter, Straight Talk Introduced a second plan, with unlimited voice calls and text messaging, plus the same 30mb of data for $45 per month.

The biggest advantage of this service is clearly the lower cost-per-minute (or text message) for people that are on the phone a lot. At this call volume, these plans are better deals than even post-paid accounts, which require a 2-year contract.

Coverage is provided by Verizon’s network, as is plainly indicated on the brand packaging, website, and promotional materials. Some networks provide less desirable coverage for prepaid than they do for their contract customers. However, Straight Talk appears to have use of the full Verizon network, including the former Alltel network, according to early customer comments on various web forums.

Straight Talk phones were initially availalbe only through Walmart stores, but Straight Talk is now selling handsets via its website. And they are actively collecting customer input as they work to add to their line of handsets. Both of these  developments should be beneficial in that they will present more options for the customer.

Time will tell us more about this provider, but based on the early info Straight Talk looks like the best prepaid cell phone for people who talk over 300 minutes per month. If you use closer to the 1000 minutes and 1000 texts offered on the $30 plan, this is truly an amazing value. And the unlimited plan, at $45, is less than half the price that most other providers are charging for unlimited calling on a contract plan.

Click here to check out Straight Talk’s web site.

If you use fewer minutes, you’ll also want to check out the company profiles of TracFone (click here) and Net10 (click here).

Technorati Tags:

13 Comments »

1. Comment by Sarah — September 21, 2009 @ 7:44 pm

It is a great deal. I was a TracFone customer and it was a good deal. It wasn’t until they started with the Straight Talk plan that I thought it was awesome! I am a low income college student who talks way too much for my own good. This special package is not only useful for students like myself, but for anyone who is on a tight budget and need a cell phone to keep in contact. Like the article said, the plan offers unlimited talk and text, and 30MB of data for $45 with reliable service and great reception everywhere. Great deal TracFone!

2. Pingback by Latest Prepaid Cell news – Best Prepaid Cell Phone Company Profile – Straight Talk | Best … — October 27, 2009 @ 12:48 am

[...] Best Prepaid Cell Phone Company Profile – Straight Talk | Best … [...]

3. Comment by brittany — December 12, 2009 @ 12:46 pm

i am 12 and im getting this phone for christmas, im excited, cant wait, love it…..my bff has it and loves it….MY TURN!

4. Comment by Pat Yoe — December 27, 2009 @ 6:42 pm

I have Straight Talk. I previously had Verizon then switched to AT&T but the bills were CRAZY!.

When I heard about Straight Talk I couldn’t believe it but got it from Walmart and have had it now for 2 months and it is just sick! I’d heard that it was on Verizon and the coverage is rock steady, so yeah!

5. Comment by bridget — September 8, 2010 @ 9:31 pm

im 12 to and im trying to get my mom and stepdad to get me this phone and the only thing from them getting it for me is that they cant find out the price because they dont want to go to walmart to find out themselfs so if any body knows please write back:)

6. Comment by pbushx2 — September 13, 2010 @ 10:20 pm

Hi Bridget
    It’s probably $100 at Walmart, but you can get a reconditioned version $20 cheaper from Straight Talk’s website, here.
    I’ve ordered dozens of reconditioned phones from TracFone, Net10 and Straight Talk over the last 7 years, and never had any problems with them. If you buy from Straight Talk, you’ll notice that the price is higher up front; the reason is that when you buy directly from them they also include the first month of service in the purchase price, so you’ll be ready to activate it as soon as you get the phone in the mail.

7. Comment by eric — December 8, 2010 @ 8:30 pm

Straighttalk may be a good deal but their customer service is the worst I have ever dealt with. Their reps refuse to listen and flat out lie. I have had an issue with a new smart phone I bought from them ($200) not working out of the box and have been fighting with them for over a week now. Every time I call I end up on the phone for a minium of 1.5 hours and every time I get a different excuse for why they can’t fix the problem. So for value they get an A but service fails miserably. Not worth it to me

8. Comment by pbushx2 — December 16, 2010 @ 9:51 am

Hi Eric
    Have you tried their executive resolutions department? Check out this post – it was written about Net10 and TracFone, but also applies to Straight Talk since they are all related companies:

9. Comment by Carmen — January 14, 2011 @ 3:42 pm

I visited Walmart after I read several positive comments on ST. I then asked for the employee to show me the phone I was interested in. Sure enough everything I read was and is true. I purchased a Samsung R355c that looks similar to a blackberry the menu key does not scroll but I like it like that. I have the $30 a month plan (can’t beat that with the contract company I had before of $200 a month bill) no contract, no hidden nothing. I have 1000 minutes talk, text and free 411 calls anywhere and 30 MB of data. Am saving big, don’t you?

10. Comment by Pashles — January 15, 2011 @ 11:30 am

I think the Straight Talk unlimited deal is amazing. $45 a month and you dont have to worry about a thing because it is all imcluded from then – unlimited minutes, texts, and data. Plus it is on the Verizon and AT&T network so the coverage and reception is fantastic!!

11. Comment by Mindful — February 1, 2011 @ 11:30 am

Hi Eric,

I use Straight Talk $45.00 unlimited plan and bought the Nokia E71 Smart Phone and can say that I am extremely happy, have you tried using Straight Talks facebook page for customer services assistance? They are quick and efficient.

12. Comment by Carmita — February 8, 2011 @ 12:44 pm

Yo tengo un Straight Talk celular Samsung R355c y no tengo quejas ninguna. He ahorrado bastante desde que me cambie a Straight Talk. El plan que escoji fue el de $30 al mes con 1000 min. con 1000 min. de hablar/textear/llamadas gratis al 411 de informacion y 30mb de data. Fantastico el plan y tambien los ahorros. Cambiese hoy y ya estara ahorrando cantidad.

13. Comment by toots — February 11, 2011 @ 9:08 am

Straighttalk have this most amazing unlimited plan which has saved me a lot of cash. For $45 a month I get unlimited (with no catches) talk text and data. Considering that I was paying in excessive of $85 a month on a contract you can just imagine the savings that I have made. Even paying the cancellation fee for the contract made it worth my while

RSS feed. TrackBack URI